Sunday, October 26, 2014

RIP Oscar Tavares

I've spent the better part of the past two hours randomly tearing up, staring at my computer, searching my head for the right words to say to comfort some of my friends, and the right words to say on here.

But seriously, what feels correct when someone younger than you loses their life? How do you tell someone who shared a field with them a short while ago that everything will be okay? 

And how emotional has this week been? Between the shootings in Ottawa and being in the middle of watching a field full of guys living their dream when finding out a young talent has been taken too early...man.

I didn't know Oscar Taveras. I know guys that play with him. I know guys that used to play with him. I know guys that simply know him because the baseball world really is like a huge family in most aspects. I've never heard a negative thing about him. 

I know that he had fun playing a game he loved. It was evident in watching him play. I know that he was very talented, and that his bat had a huge upside. And as is evidenced by his teammates tweets today, I know that he was someone that people enjoyed to be around.

And I know that his life was cut far too short. 

I had another blog post intended for today. It's mostly written, but publishing it doesn't seem right, so I'll hold it for tomorrow. 

I know this is short, but the only other thing I have to say is that, Taveras' legacy will live on through his teammates that never take for granted stepping on that field because life is fragile, and nothing is guaranteed. It is my hope that no matter how many years your career lasts, that feeling of gratitude never fades, and that people getting to live their dreams take a moment to soak that in every once in a while.

My heart and my prayers are with Oscars family, friends, and teammates, and those of his girlfriend as well. My hope is that they are both resting easy in the presence of our ever faithful God and His glory. 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment